So far most of our lodging has been about an hour away. There just aren’t a wealth of places to stay near the trail up here. Today it only took us 25 minutes to get to the trailhead, so that was a luxury.
Averill-Kelly features two creek crossings within the first mile-plus. I’ve got some blisters I wanted to pamper, so I wasn’t keen on getting my feet soaked first thing in the day. But the trail is the trail. The first creek was up to my knees in the middle, the second only calf-high. The bulk of the trail was a wide, grassy bridle path – pretty nice. Got to the car, changed socks and shoes, and hit Turtle Creek. Another pretty nice trail in general. But my feet got wet again from dewy grass, so another sock/shoe change.

Grandfather Falls was pretty interesting. The trail goes up and down both sides of – gosh, it’s some reservoir and hydroelectric dam (too tired to look it up). In many parts, the trail is full of huge boulders and roots. The going is very slow. It reminded me of Devil’s Lake. The trail offers some glimpses of the falls created by the dam; it was quite pretty.

The second part of Grandfather Falls is an out-and-back along the Merrill School Forest trail. Then there’s a long connecting route. Some hikers say they just bushwhack after the trail ends; it’s only a half-mile to a road that shortens your hike considerably. Now, I know it wasn’t wise to consider bushwhacking in shorts and a short-sleeve shirt. But I figured I’d basically bushwhacked my way on so many of these segments, I’d be fine. WRONG. I can’t even begin to explain how difficult this was. Suffice it to say after bashing through trees and shoulder-high plants, I finally saw a grassy meadow in the distance. Yay! But when I was trying to make my way to it, I got snagged in barbed wire – the meadow was a farmer’s field, and the fence was his property marker. After panicking for 30 seconds, I untangled myself, hopped over the wire, trotted through the field and found the road. I’m not bushwhacking again!

Next was an 8-ish mile jog along a connecting route. It had been hot and humid all day, but clouds moved in. By the time I hit Underdown Recreational Area, it began to rain. I did about half of the trail in there before quitting for the day.

On the way to our hotel in Antigo, four bears crossed the road in front of us! It looked like maybe a mother and three cubs, although I think that would be unusual. It was pretty cool, but I hope that’s my only bear sighting.

©2018 Melanie McManus – All Rights Reserved

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons